Why I Blog

“The act of writing is an act of optimism.  You would not take the trouble to do it if you felt it didn’t matter.”       – Edward Albee

“How do I know what I think until I see what I say?”     – E. M. Foster

Blogging is an act of faith as well as optimism. Putting your words out in virtual space is acting on the belief that the electronic word has impact. In one of my previous incarnations, I was the publisher of a health and wellness magazine.  Although short-lived, the process of publishing “Holistic Community” on a quarterly basis was an act of faith.  I had no publishing experience, was self-financing the venture, was learning by “the seat of my pants,” and was running the entire business while working a full-time job. Despite the challenges, my faith was rewarded by gaining tremendous knowledge about publishing, business — and myself.  Had I to do it again today, the magazine would be an E-zine or blog.

“Writing is a lot easier if you have something to say.”   – Sholem Asch

“Writing is thinking on paper.”      – William Zinsser

I like to question, reflect, and if the opportunity presents itself, write. So my blog will reflect both the questions I am exploring and my thinking regarding envisioning your future life. It is a diary of my thinking process on a particular subject, although I will wander into other related fields at times. This is my second blog, the first, “Envisioning Online,” kept me busy for several years.  Now a new itch needs to be scratched.

“I don’t pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are certainly worth thinking about.”      – Arthur C. Clarke

One aspect of any writing is the wish to be read, and even making some small impact on the reader. Some writers claim they write as self-therapy, and no more need an audience than bees need honey. Not me. Humans are social beings and blogging is a social activity in new clothes—a modern-day soapbox. In a way, blogs are a good reflection of our current culture, which puts a premium on immediacy, and short snippets of information. As the poet in me would express it, “No time for tomes, just mere tweets on cell phones.”

“Opportunity dances with those who are already on the dance floor.”         – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

The first step in creating this blog was to have a vision of what I wanted to say and what I could contribute. Not every word needed to be perfect, but the ideas expressed needed to be shared. Nonetheless, I decided to get on that dance floor and start moving, committed to the process as much as the result. This is a wonderful opportunity that the CUNY Academic Commons is offering, and my intention is to honor it and maybe make some magic happen.  Now, on with the dance . . .

“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.”   – Henry David Thoreau

Source: Quotes About Writing Website:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pasenka/quotes/q-writ.htm – About trying